1. He reputedly speaks five languages. That means he’s multi-talented, sexy, and smart.
2. Since the loss of good friend Kami (a fellow musician with Malice Mizer) in 1999, Gackt allegedly continues to visit the late drummer’s mother. It could be a false rumor. Still, I like to imagine him both sentimental and respectful.
3. Cost notwithstanding, the man demands a high degree of quality out of every project he touches. Videos and live performance DVDs are a sensual treat.
4. Speaking of treats, “Vanilla” is a fabulous single. An exhilarating horn section makes this a personal favorite and the racy, whimsical lyrics don’t hurt. I always perk up when it comes on my playlist.
5. His vocals are not only easy on the ears but the words are consistently clear. As a result, he’s actually reinforcing my language lessons!
6. Acting genuinely playful in interviews and on television programs, Gackt’s good humor is substantiated by one report that he ran an invitation-only restaurant for a time. The article said he prepared family recipes for his guests at a string of secret locations. Whatever did it take to get invited?
7. Gackt looks gorgeous in every incarnation. Shallow, I know, but I’ve never seen anyone pull off such a variety of costumes and personas: goth, vampire, gangster, blond, brunette, Samurai, cyborg soldier. It’s all good.
8. Merveilles – I can’t get enough of listening to the album and watching Malice Mizer’s live, epic performance.
9. During a segment of Merveilles, Gackt wears a heavy-looking brocade costume complete with feather-collared cape and outrageously high-heeled, platform boots. During a soaring piano piece he gives a flawless performance in that outfit while sitting with his legs crossed. It’s priceless footage.
10. Some sources claim he’s bisexual and, while it’s none of my business, this wicked imagination does run wild. Some photographs I’ve seen only perpetuate the claim.
11. He never does anything halfway. Even friendly martial arts demonstrations I’ve seen are amazing. Gackt once said that everyone on his staff is trained for sparring and I believe it.
12. Gackt penned a particularly haunting single, “December Love Song”, after being moved by the terrorist attacks on September 11th, 2001. The mournful Japanese lyrics manage to sound more beautiful than sad to me, but I have several versions. Hearing the devastating lyrics sung in English for the first time, I nearly cried.
13. I’ll leave you with the image of this stunningly packaged CD.
Japanese title: 12月 の Love Song
Copyright issues left me uncomfortable downloading music or images of the artist, for which I’m sorry. However, the barest search will provide you with a plethora of samples if my list piques your interest.